Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Long Time No See...

Well, I have been a real "slacker" lately (three months!) and have not taken time to blog. I will update you on things around here. Andrew is doing great. He is back up walking around...actually he is playing flag football this summer and running all over the field! Katy, my oldest, graduated from high school on May 3rd. Kandace and Clara are doing great. Kevin, Katy and Kandace are actually doing mission work in Texas and Mexico right now. I cannot explain the amazing things that take place in my children's lives when they do mission work. They reap blessings that I can never forsee or plan for them. This is Katy's 8th mission trip and Kandace's 6th. Each time they return I see a new spiritual level emerge in them. I am so thankful that God has given them the opportunity to make these trips with either Kevin or myself. If you have kids who are 12 or older I highly recommend traveling with your children and doing this kind of work side by side as a family. There is so much character development that takes place. It is also a great way to really spend time with Christian brothers and sisters. It is important not to be an "island" in our Christian walk.
With two young ones at home I have not made many long distance mission trips lately. I miss that sometimes. I usually hold down the home front. I know this is also a noble endeavor because some will not allow their spouses to travel for extended periods of time. It is something you just set your mind to and do. I have many friends who are also caring for their young ones while their husbands are serving in Texas and Mexico. We are the "home-based" prayer warriors!
The House That Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can ImagineAs most people know I am a book lover. Usually when my family members are gone I read some deep intellectually, emotionally and spiritually challenging book. Some of my readings have included Crazy Love, Les Miserables, Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman, and others. This time I am reading two books. I am actually finishing this book. (left)
My house has not started cleaning itself ...yet but the book has lots of good hints for keeping things clean before they get messy. I love books like this because I am by nature a messy person so I love books by the Fly Lady, Emile Barnes, and all of the organized people I want to be like.
As for my "deeper thinking" book, I am reading Unbroken by Laura Hildenbrand. Several friends have recommended this book but I had not taken the time to find it. God works those things out because a very nice man and another avid reader (William Joines) who attends our church loaned it to Kevin last week, thus it sits here on my nightstand for ME to enjoy and I am! (More on that another time).
I don't mean to write so much about books but so much of who I am and what I know is from good books that I have read. I feel so sorry for people who do not like to read because they are missing out. None of us have time but we can cut out some time-wasters and make a little time here and there.
I do have to share one caution though. Kay Arthur once said that we should never let good books (not even Christian books) take the place of THE BOOK. Always make sure the Bible is the first book on our list daily.
Okay, so I will try to be more consistant in my blogging. Many blessings to you all!! And now... off to read!!






No comments:

Post a Comment